Job Category: Database Administrator / Developer
Job Number: 11268029
Akraya is looking for a Database Engineer for one of our clients. If the job description below is a fit, please apply directly or call Pallav at 408 512 2427. If this position is not quite what you’ re looking for, visit akraya.Com and submit a copy of your resume. Our recruiters will get to work finding you a job that is a better match at one of our many clients.
Primary Skills: Vertica, AWS, Hive, HDFS
Duration: 12+ Months
Tax Term: W2
- Lead the design of a highly performant, available and secure Vertica platform
- Lead strategic initiatives such as Vertica upgrade, node expansion, resource pool tuning, etc
- Profile our Vertica hardware performance to identify bottlenecks in CPU capacity, memory capacity, disk IO capacity and network capacity.
- Configure our Vertica cluster at the hardware, operating system and MPP level for maximum performance
- Lead capacity planning efforts to ensure that our Vertica cluster can handle ETL loads, dashboard loads, and ad-hoc analytics loads
- Work with architects, analysts and cross-functional teams to develop carefully tuned data models and queries
- Work with data engineers and analysts on partitioning, segmentation, partition swapping, and query-tuning
- Define and document appropriate Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Develop run books for problem diagnosis, resolution and escalation.
- Automate various RTB jobs using scripts/tools to speed execution on the Vertica platform
- Work with MicroFocus (Vertica) engineering and customer support teams for timely resolution of tickets.
- Develop Vertica monitoring and alerting capabilities, and manage on-call rotation.
- Lead root cause analysis meetings following production incidents.
- BS in Computer Science. MS Preferred.
- Sound knowledge of Vertica Architecture (column orientation, compression, projections, segmentations, partitions, high availability and security).
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of database internals and data structures.
- Hands-on experience with at-least two E2E Vertica Implementations.
- Expertise in installing and maintaining Vertica clusters and implementing backup and recovery processes.
- Experience in performance tuning Vertica which includes creation of projection, partition swapping, managing MergeOut operations, Delete Vectors, etc.
- Experience automating ingestion of data into Vertica from Hive, OLTP sources, and flat files. Experience with Vertica’ s HDFS connector is a plus.
- Strong SQL skills; experience with other relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, Postgres is a plus.
- Experience with AWS products including EC2, S3, RDS, ElastiCache, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, Lambda, etc.
Please apply directly with your updated resume or call Pallav @ 408-512-2427
Akraya, Inc. Is an award-winning staffing firm that works with many of the leading, technology-based companies around the world. We have been ranked as one of the “ Best Staffing Firms to Temp for” by Staffing Industry Analysts on multiple occasions and are a preferred staffing vendor within numerous staffing programs. Please visit akraya.Com to search through all of our current openings or to submit your resume to our recruiting team.